Click the link to be redirected to SIPlay, our registration page. Scroll down for COVID-19 considerations and program overviews!
Winter 2020-2021 Masters Rowing
Despite the challenges, SRA is committed to training at a high level and progress towards our mission of fostering excellence. The goal of the winter session is to maximize fitness gains in preparation for the Spring season. SRA will take all the necessary precautions to ensure our coaches, our athletes, and our families, stay safe during the COVID-19 era (See below)
Winter Session Info
- During the months of January and February you will receive "at home" erg and cross training workouts each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday via email. Both workouts will be provided to accommodate those with or without access to ergometers.
- Every Wednesday evening in January and February (time TBD) we will have a ZOOM meeting, totally optional to attend, to review the workouts, answer questions, provide suggestions, and, most importantly be able to socialize with your fellow rowers, even if just virtually.
- Effective Monday, March 1 thru Saturday, April 3, the adult winter training program will return to the boathouse in hopes we'll have less restrictions, warmer weather, additional opportunities for vaccine distribution, and more weekly "in house" training opportunities (11 total per week), as follows:
MONDAY thru FRIDAY: 5:30 AM - 6:45 AM and 9:00 AM - 10:15 AM. SATURDAY: 6:30 AM - 7:45 AM
- Caveat: Athletes need to register prior to January 6. This provides timely "at home" workouts through the coldest months of the year, provides extensive "in house" training in March and early April to prepare for the "on-water" spring season, AND provides much needed revenue to SRA.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Coach Bob.
Ready to register
Will there be an at-home training plan between seasons/during the Holiday Session?
Please ask your coach if your squad has a training plan between sessions. Some teams will have a training plan and also an alternate running workout if no access to erg.
Can you do the “Family Plan” without your family?
Yes! Our holiday session is structured to have multiple workout options that the whole family can have fun with, but your family is not required to attend Holiday Session practices.
When does winter start?
Our post-fall rowing experience has two phases with different start dates:
- The Holiday session starts Dec. 2nd and runs until December 22nd
- Winter training starts Jan. 4th and will run continuously until the end of our Spring season
When does registration open for each session?
- Registration for the Holiday session is now open - you can register here!
- Winter training registration will be announced via email and social media - keep an eye out!
Do I have to wear a mask?
Any time we are indoors, and outdoors without social distancing, you will be required to wear a mask.
Will all workouts be outside this winter? What spaces will we use?
- Holiday session workouts will be in the boathouse bays and in the pavilion with heaters on, with doors open. Athletes can anticipate having their own personal workout space to maintain distancing. We will have a limited number of people per bay. When the weather permits, we can workout outside!
- Winter session workouts will also use the upstairs weight room in addition to the bays and pavilions (masks on and doors open!). The upstairs weight room air filtration system is equipped with a MERV-1 filter in accordance with NY State gym guidelines. Athletes can also anticipate having their own personal workout space to maintain distancing.
What types of workouts will we do in winter training?
Our winter workouts include erging, weights, and circuits. When weather permits, we will include running and other outdoor work!
Do we have to use port-o-potties in the freezing cold?
With our permission to use the indoors, we will be able to use the bathrooms, one person maximum at a time.
I’m coming from school, can I change in the bathroom?
No, please continue arriving in your training clothes as you did during the Fall season!
Is there a certain temperature where we will not come to practice?
Outdoor activities will not happen under 25-degree real-feel temp. Indoor activities will continue unless coaches determine it is too far below for our heaters to keep up.
Will practice be canceled if it is raining/snowing?
Outdoor activities may be canceled if it is raining and cold. If for any reason practice needs to be altered or canceled your coach will be in contact with you to communicate the plan!
What will the schedule be like?
The Holiday session is three days per week (Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday) with two ergs and one cross-training workout per week. For winter training starting in January, The Varsity women can plan on erging 3 days per week, one long lift, 2 short lifts, 1 cross train/circuit The Freshman women can anticipate a similar workout structure to the Varsity women.
What time is practice?
Holiday session workout times are as follows:
- Tuesday 4:00 PM - 5:30 PM
- Thursday 5:15 PM - 6:45 PM
- Saturday 9:30 PM - 11:00 AM
Winter session workout times will be announced when registration is announced!
Can we remove masks for water?
Yes, briefly if you are socially distanced.
Can we fill our water bottles at the boathouse?
Yes, you can use the bathroom sinks or the water fountain.
Where will we store our “stuff” at practice?
Your items will stay inside your assigned box for the practice! Each athlete will be assigned a 150 sq.ft. box that will include the necessary equipment for your practice
Will I be responsible for cleaning my erg or will a coach be cleaning it?
The equipment will be cleaned by the coaching staff between usages
Winter Covid-19 Considerations
All of us at SRA are committed to keeping our staff, our athletes, and our families SAFE! Here are the steps we are taking to make this happen.
Level 1 Training
- Winter training will take place in the bays.
- 8 ergs in each side bay
- 12 ergs in the middle bay.
- 8 ergs in the Pavilion
- Limit 12 athletes upstairs at the boathouse as a time.
- Limit 16 athletes in the Sculling Pavilion
- No working out at the training center.
- Bay doors will be open during workouts.
- Athletes can expect to workout outside should the real feel be above 25 degrees.
- The SRA gear store is open, and includes hi-visibility gear, lights, and cold gear. Gear from the store is not mandatory, but appropriate gear for low light and cold weather is!
- HVAC filters have been upgraded to Merv-13 in congruence with NYS Guidelines.
- Room limits have been calculated based upon current guidelines and 33% capacity.
- Athletes will be required to be masked when practicing indoors and will be permitted to remove masks when practicing outdoors (maintaining social distancing). For example: if there is a nice day, we will be able to bring the ergometers outside in the parking lot and maintain the spacing and remove the masks. If we go for a run or workout in the park, the athletes will not be required to wear the masks once the activity begins
Level 2 Training
- In the event “gyms” get shut down, ergs will be sent home with athletes (with varsity getting priority, underclassmen 2nd, and modified athletes last). Additionally, we’ll continue to train outdoors at the State Park, Saratoga Waterfront Park, and other public venues.
Level 3 Training
- In the event NYS gets locked down, athletes will continue to train independently and check-in with coaches via zoom.
Refunds will only be issued if we are locked down for 2 or more consecutive weeks. If this happens, families will be credited 1/12th of their season dues for every week we are unable to offer Level 1 or 2 training.
SRA is pleased to offer several programs, both on and off the water, structured to meet the differing goals and schedules of the adult rowing community.
The SRA Masters Rowing Programs are open to all Adult Rowers (age 22 and up). While all rowing skill levels are welcome, if you are a beginner, we recommend either prior participation in the winter training program, attending the “Adult Learn-to-Row” Program in July and August, and/or taking private rowing lessons (contact the SRA Business Manager for details on private instruction)
Whether you are training to win a national championship, rowing for fitness only, or just enjoy getting on the water occasionally, the SRA Masters Rowing Program is for you!!
Regardless of your goals, our training programs and on-water crews are developed based on your individual rowing skill level. For those interested, many competitive opportunities exist throughout the year. Never raced?? Try it – you’ll be hooked!!
QUESTIONS?? Please feel free to contact us at 518-587-6697 or firstname.lastname@example.org
6-week blocks of indoor training on the ergometers and with weights and body circuits. Experienced and novice train together in these 90-minute blocks.
SRA Masters offers 3-seasons of On-The-Water rowing:
- Spring Season: April 1st to June 22nd
- Summer Season: June 24th to August 31st
- Fall Season: September 3rd to November 1st
For fees and practice schedule, please contact our business manager at email@example.com
The Babes (and Dudes) with Blades give the beginner and intermediate-level rower instruction and opportunities to row single and double sculling boats in small groups. The cost of each session is based on the number of participants. The sessions are usually held weekdays, in the early morning and lunch hour, with one session offered on Saturdays. Pay only for the sessions you attend.
Any SRA member enrolled in the Master's program may earn his or her “Scull Alone” certification by demonstrating an aptitude for rowing a single, passing a flip test and paying a small additional fee. This certification allows the rower to use an SRA recreational single without a coach and during the club’s open hours.